Sunday, January 25, 2009

The KettleBell Iron Angel



Meet ‘ The Iron Angel ‘ Angelina Armstrong-Mann .
This angel is a passionate, creative and fun kettlebell instructor from Ottawa, Canada



Q- What was your first experience with KettleBells?

A - I first saw a kettlebell about 6 years ago. My brother in law who is a cop in Ottawa started using them. He loved the intense workout and was a regular gym goer and started using them in his basement!

The first time I picked up a kettlebell I couldn't believe the weight of it. I thought there was no way some one of my stature would be able to do anything with it! (the weight was 8kg) That was until I started watching Youtube and getting the moves down on my own! I started out with circuits of swings and thrusters, the odd turkish (which as mean as I am I make my girls do 3 after every circuit in my class!!) Being self-taught before doing any certification sure is a great base, learning new ways to teach is always something I enjoy!! And new exercises, every one is always inventing something harder than the usual moves!! Bring it!

Q – What is your favorite KettleBell exercise ?

A - I can't really say I have a favorite kettlebell exercise I say "this is my favorite" probably after every exercise when teaching and the girls get very annoyed with me because I do love every exercise! I would say the harder the better! Right now my favorites are probably the snatch, definitely the turkish,high pull, Juggling (LOVE IT!!) see I can't choose just one, I love them all!! Again the harder the better! LOL! (yes that was an evil laugh!)

Q- Why do you Love Kettlebells ?


A - Why do I love kettlebells?? They are so much fun, there is always something new you can do with them, they work your whole body, they are so transportable! I take one with me everywhere! Which is great when you have 2 kids!! The best part is that they work your whole body, which for a Mom who has a tummy to lose, they work wonders on your core!

My favorite thing about kettlebells is probably the fact that I now have extremely toned shoulders. Abs is a long lasting battle, if only we could refrain from alcohol, great food (which is usually not great for the mid section!) Thankfully kettlebells use the core in every move, and we don't even realize it!! Hopefully some day I will work hard enough to compete in some sort of fitness/physique type challenge, using only kettlebells is my goal!
I truly enjoy teaching kettlebells, I've been teaching bootcamp classes for 5 years, mixing in kettlebells was the smartest thing I ever did!!
I typically teach in doors no thanks to our wonderful Canadian climate. Outdoors on a riverbank is where I prefer, but until spring I'm locked up in a mirrored high school weight room! I put my lovely ladies through timed circuits of only the most challenging yet fun (they're all fun) moves 3 evenings a week!! I must say they all love it, as they keep coming back and inviting their friends! I recently ran my first ad, in the free local paper (free to the public, no free ad for me!) Calls have been coming in! I've had 3 new comers, should be more this evening ,most haven't even heard of kettlebells, and are intrigued to try them!

My classes consist of an hour (we always go over) warm up, 2-3 circuits each exercise lasting up to 1 min, constantly perfecting form, executing each move perfectly! Then an ab cool down and stretch, stretch, stretch! The conversation and comradery is awesome, I couldn't ask for a better bunch of girls. Still looking for some men interested in hosting a class, I recently picked up a class at a public school consisting of teachers; first class was yesterday hoping to make a weekly thing out of it!!! They seemed to love it! It's such a great alternative for women to weights!!

Classes are held at Carleton Place High School
Monday 7:30-8:30
Tuesday 7:00-8:00
Thursday 7:30-8:30
I also do corporate, I will travel anywhere pretty much within the Ottawa area, Lanark county area where I live!!
Have a great day!

Angelina
The IRON Angel
ironang@live.ca


Interview by : www.ilovemykettlebell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment