Sunday, January 25, 2009

Nathan Donahue is not a KettleBell Trainer




Meet Nathan Donahue , Software sales manager .
Nathan is not a trainer, he just really loves the benefits of kettlebells.

We caught up with Nathan in Calgary, to find out why he says Kettlebell Workouts are quick, challenging, can be done at home, and most of all effective!


Q -Describe your first time picking up kettlebell and / or your first work out …


A - When I first got my 35lbs kettlebell in 2001 , I was really excited (it was a lot of money for a poor university grad to spend). I ran down stairs, busted out the "Russian Kettlebell Challenge" book and started doing the drills. I really, really sucked at first both in terms of form and conditioning ( I was fat). But even though I sucked I just loved it. Blasting music and swinging this giant ball around. I was hooked! I lost 26lbs of fat in four weeks! I was losing weight so fast my sister actually did a double take of me one time in the kitchen.

Q -What is #1 favorite kettlebell exercise ?

A - These days I would say the kettlebell arm-bar is my favourite. I have spent the last 15 years of my life benching and squatting and shoulders are tight as hell. Arm-bars make my shoulders feel 10 years younger. Overall I don't think you can beat kettlebell juggling. It is great conditioning and works the grip like mad!

Q -Why do you Love Kettlebells ?

A -Kettlebells are the perfect compliment to any training regime! They lean you out, improve explosiveness, strength, power, and mobility. They are fun, convenient and for a full service home gym...small and cheap! All this and you can still practice your given sport 100%. I am a powerlifter, I hit the barbell 4x week, and can still use kettlebells very frequently. This goes for any athlete as well, be they endurance athletes or team sports.


I attend a kettlebell class taught my Marty Hansen (http://m-2sport.ca) twice per week because I can't coach myself. I just do the same damn drills all the time without Marty. Also, my fiance can't train alone or at home so the classes are perfect for her, she loves them! Since discovering kettlebells she has toned up and gained a lot of confidence.

Check out Nathan’s fantastic Kettlebell Planet blog for workouts and musings @

http://kettlebellplanet.blogspot.com


Interview by : www.ilovemykettlebell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment